Sunday 27 November 2016

Christmas Markets

IT'S THIS TIME OF THE YEAR! The time when you count down the days until the holidays, start shopping for Christmas gifts, it starts getting icy outside and the Christmas Markets open.
I love Christmas Markets because they feel like such a nice and festive place to walk around (unless it's obstructively filled with hundreds of people and you can't even move). Geo and I have had the fun to explore the Christmas Market of  Leeds for two weekends now and this weekend added the Manchester one to the list. I have been missing this German festive treat for years, while Geo haven't seen one until this year! So it was my pleasure to walk along the stalls with him and spend loads of money (maybe not as much pleasure) of delicious food that made me nostalgic and that I really wanted him to try (yes this was the most pleasure). He was amazing in being happy to try all the things I suggested ranging from Bratwurst (German grilled sausage) and potatoes to Mulled wine and candied almonds. He even seemed to like everything so that was super great as well.
Comparing the two, the German Christmas Market in Leeds (as implied by the name) is more focused on German food and products, but you can still find the occasional random stall like Crepes, Churros or Fudge. It is also far smaller than the Manchester one with about 20 stalls. However I would not say that it is a disadvantage, in my opinion it makes the market a lot more homey.
On the other hand the European Christmas Market is HUGE and as equally as the name implies more versatile. I did love it and due to its variety we did find new dishes to try and enjoy. I was especially excited about our find of the Flammkuchen (thin pastry baked with sour cream, bacon, onion and cheese *yum* I know) as it is like one of my favourite things. But I must say that even though we did spend a lot more time at the Manchester Christmas Market exploring all the stalls and trying some of the most appealing dishes, it did not seem as festive as the Leeds one, mostly due to the huge chaos in the crowds. It was still amazing though and I can't wait to visit it again!
-KK

PS. More pictures are coming in a separate post.
(Just because we didn't transfer them from the DSLR)

No comments:

Post a Comment